Obtaining professional navigation documents from the Navigation Counter


This procedure explains how to obtain professional documents from the Navigation Counter (technical certificates for vessels, professional inland navigation qualifications and proof of access to the profession of carrier of goods by waterway).

The Walloon Region is in charge of matters relating to professional navigation. ‘Professional navigation' means navigation enabling the carriage of goods and the transport of more than 12 passengers.

In order to be able to transport goods or more than 12 passengers, a transport carrier must ensure that the vessel(s) used has/have the necessary technical certificates and that the personnel on board the vessel(s) have professional qualifications that comply with the crew rules. In addition, carriers intending to operate on the inland waterway transport market require a certificate. These documents may be requested at the Navigation Counter.

In detail


If you wish to obtain:

  • a technical certificate for an inland waterway vessel;
  • a professional qualification certificate to work as a crew member on board an inland waterway vessel;
  • proof of access to the profession of carriers of goods by waterway,

you can go to the following page: Navigation Counter

You will find there the information needed to obtain these documents from the Navigation Counter in the Walloon Region.



SPW Mobilité et Infrastructures - Département de la Réglementation et de la Régulation des Transports - Direction de la Réglementation et du Contrôle des Voies hydrauliques - Guichet de la navigation
Canal de l'Ourthe, 9
4031 Angleur
+32 (0)4 231 65 33
Updated on
Process n° : 146793
Did you find this page useful?
Back to processes